Saturday, January 01, 2011

Happy New Year!

I love doing a blog mostly because I enjoy looking back through the months and years that have passed since I started it at the end of my pregnancy for Kyle. I love looking back because it reminds me that there have been bad times AND good times. It amazes me how quickly I forget the good times and focus on the bad. While this year has been full of bad things, I thought I should wrap up the year focusing on the good things--

-Finishing up hand therapy with 80% function of my wrist restored in January. After months of relying on help from family and friends to keep our lives running, it felt so good to return to being the runner of the house!

-A trip in March to Florida to visit my parents' new house. We know it will be a place we will try to visit as much as possible--especially when there is snow on the ground! ;o) That trip included many fun things, but the best was taking Madeline to the Magic Kingdom for the first time. Through a note from Madeline's doctor, we were able to get a special access pass that allowed us to be able to navigate the park much easier. It was an amazing day because of that pass and Madeline had a great time! I was almost in tears when we left because Disney allowed my daughter to have a truly magical day!

-In late spring Kyle was discharged from Speech Therapy and in August he was discharged from Occupational Therapy. What incredible blessings! We are so happy to see him caught up to where he needs to be and we are so thankful for the therapists that partnered with us to make that happen!

-Over the summer we spent many days on outings with family and friends. So thankful for so many fun things to do around here. I also attempted "home school" (I use that term very loosely out of respect for my friends that really do home school. It is hard!) . The kids LOVED home school and hopefully I'll be more prepared for next summer now that I know how hard it is! ;o)

-This fall began a new chapter for me as I have 2 kids in school at the same time. Kyle started preschool 2 days a week at our church. The first few weeks were really strange being without him, but I adjusted to it quickly! ;o) Madeline started first grade with an incredible teacher and is having a blast!

-Late fall also brought a series of testing for Madeline that have lead to a new path for us. She was diagnosed with Nonverbal Learning Disorder. While I've spent a lot of the past month seeing that as a bad thing, I am being reminded (by God and those closest to me) that this diagnosis is a good thing--actually a VERY good thing because we can get more accurate therapy and help for Madeline AND me as we understand more what her neurological deficits are. This will help us focus more on her strengths as we understand better her weaknesses. I am looking forward to 2011 being a year that brings help and clarity to our family as we understand more about this diagnosis and how best to help Madeline be successful.

As I look back over the year 2010, I want to choose to see the good things and I hope you are able to see the blessings of your 2010 too. Here's to the many blessings that await us in 2011!

No comments: