Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Continuous Exposure

Madeline's therapist has been talking to me about the concept of continuous exposure. I read about it in the book I've been reading about NLD too. It is so interesting. My daughter, who is so brilliant at some things, can't understand, just simply can't, things like "other people might not always want to play what you want to play". The idea of continuous exposure is one that I continuous repeat the same idea over and over. Like "You should give your friends a chance to pick what you play at recess." Well, last night I saw that it worked--at bedtime I was talking to her about recess. She told me she played robots with her best friend, Brody. I knew that there was no way she would think to play robots, so I asked "Whose idea was that?" I was so happy when she said, "Well, Brody said, 'What do you want to play?' and I decided to let him pick so I said 'Why don't you pick today?' and he picked robots." It was a HUGE victory! Every time she is able to do this she will be teaching her brain that it is OK to let someone else be in control. Continuous exposure--what a concept! Huge amounts of patience are required with the continuous exposure concept because I have to remind myself that it will take literally 50-100 times or more for me to repeat an idea to Madeline before she will even be willing to try it. But at least now I have a positive example to remind myself that it can work!

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

Jami, it's great when you can see progress. What an encouragement to you.