Sunday, March 13, 2011
Small But Huge
I was going to use this blog to pass along information that I am learning about NLD. Turns out, learning about it is very difficult because resources are not plentiful on this disorder. I am learning things about Madeline and her NLD every day. One small, but huge thing that I've learned lately is that you can't say "you guys" when talking to her. It is way to contextual and she can't infer what you mean. I take for granted that fact that I can infer other people's context when they are talking to me. A good example is when we were in the car after Madeline's first grade music program at school. Greg said "You guys did a great job tonight!". Madeline said nothing. I whispered to Greg "implied context", so he said "Your class did a great job tonight!" Madeline smiled and said "Thank you!" It is such a small thing, but if not corrected, Madeline would not have know that Greg was giving her and her classmates a big compliment. I keep praying for God to show me these things to help Madeline understand what we are trying to communicate to her--especially if it relates to her self esteem!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment