Sunday, February 24, 2008

Perspective

Yesterday was a day of perspective for me. First of all, Chicagoans can complain about the weather like nobody else can. We've been fortunate to not have a winter like this in many years, but now that it is actually winter this year all we can do is complain. It was amazing to me that as the temperatures soared to a balmy 37 degrees and the sun was shining yesterday, the complaining stopped and everyone was refreshed with hope that spring is eventually coming. People were out and about without coats, in capri pants, and taking it all in. Amazing what a difference a day can make. Secondly, I spent a good part of the day with a friend whose son had surgery to remove his tonsils and adenoids to hopefully relieve some major breathing problems. By the time I got there on Saturday, she had not only watched him undergo surgery, but almost die twice since the surgery. It was a tense scene when I got there, but he started rallying and was doing much better by the evening. He's doing even better today. All of this made me think about how much I take for granted that I have such healthy kids. Not only my friend's baby, but this entire hospital was filled with sick, some very sick, kids that are going to be in the hospital for a very long time. I felt very guilty for getting caught up with complaining about the little colds or the fact that they woke up too early when in fact every day that I have with them is a gift. I guess I just wanted to share this to say how incredibly grateful I am for Madeline Grace and Kyle Gregory and what incredible lights they are in my life. As scared as I have been a times with Kyle's breathing, I saw yesterday that I have so much to be grateful for because it could be so much worse. I praise God for His hand of protection and health on my two beautiful kids!

2 comments:

Linnea said...

Things like that do make you stop and be thankful for what you have. Hana, my oldest, had sleep apnia...she would stop breathing in her sleep at night. It was so bad that I had her in our bed for so long and never slept just so I could nudge her to wake her and make her breathe. When she had her adnoids out, and then tonsils, she had some scary times in surgery. We also had major problems with Maddie as a baby. When all that goes on, I remember just stopping and thinking how happy I am to have children. And, when I find myself complaining about the kids not cleaning up or something little, I think back to those times in our life that were scary, and I am thankful that I have them here today. So, after this long post, thanks for bringing us all back to reality with your post and reminding us of what is important!!! Hope your friends son is doing ok!

Anonymous said...

When my kids were sick with high fevers and colds last week, I can't feel sorry for myself. I knew my children would be better in a few days. I couldn't help but think of those who have to watch their children be sick their entire lives.